Wednesday 4 June 2008

Got Ten Minutes? Then Get Feng Shui'd

So you are interested in Feng Shui. One thing to note, Feng Shui is not a religion, it does not nor will not conflict in anyway with your own religious views and practices. Feng Shui is more than a way to live, but following some of the simple Feng Shui practices certainly does help one think clearer in their home and office. It helps bring a brighter attitude and overall has a calming effect when done correctly which also allows for good Qi (chi) to enhance your chances of love, happiness, wealth and health.


If you dread coming home to your home, if you look the other way and even stay away from a room in your house, then Feng Shui is for you, especially! It is easier to practice Feng Shui than one would think. Fend Shui does not cost much money, and at times will cost nothing, and in fact, if you are feeling a bit down and out, using some of these Feng Shui practices, will really help uplift your spirits and the energy in your home and office.


I started this Feng Shui thing when I got my lucky zen dog, Theo. With my first book on feng shui, which I have since lent out many times to close friends, has a cover which has been chewed by my then-puppy Theo who has since grown to a whopping 60+ pounds of a shaggy happy dog. I have since bought many books on feng shui and learned a thing or two. But as I learn more, I knew I also had to step back and review some of the simplest of feng shui practices.


As many people have overstuffed closets, rooms and homes, I knew I am not alone. And in fact with limited time, I have learned that removing clutter and donating what I can, is not a dirty four letter word, but a way of life.


So, yesterday, I did something and made an excellent Feng Shui decision, whoo hoo! Now as I work at home, it is particularly easy for me to let stuff land where it may, and clearing clutter for me is seems could be a 24/7 hours job. But since I have much better things to do with my time, like writing and bringing in income I made a simple decision to take 10 minutes out of my day to declutter, but it was more than that, actually. It was to take ten minutes out of each day, go around each of my rooms to quickly attack any area that needed it. So here I share some Feng Shui Spiritual and Spacial Secrets. I returned to some of the first Feng Shui lessons I learned.


As I learn more and more about the wonderful ancient practice of Feng Shui, I am learning more and more about compasses, which direction my house faces, how to find the correct idols and images to help balance energies in my home. I find that Feng Shui has a lot more to do than just making sure your house is clutter-free. In fact there is so much involved, I almost started getting confused. That's when I said to myself, 'Self, let me take a step back. Review and reread what I had learned before delving further into the Feng Shui Deep Sea.'


In fact, and speaking of a clutter-free environment, would you believe a house that its too sparten, and too clutter-free could also be create bad Qi (chi) and the Qi could easily pass right by as it moves too quickly around your space? Thank my lucky zen dog for that! Since, I actually live in my house. Which means, there is mail to be opened, laundry to be put away, things to fix in my house, etc. the long list could go on and on.


So if you want to begin, start small first of all. Your intention is a key factor is making Feng Shui work for you and your family. When you start doing some of the small tasks around your home, you really need to be in a good mind frame reminding yourself, all this work is necessary in creating the environment you and your family need to thrive beautifully.


One of the more important factors, is to allow your inner intuition to help guide you. As you practice Feng Shui you will notice you will become more aware when something is out of place, when your furniture needs to be moved, you will become more sensitive. I had be taught this, but have since been amazed at how sensitive I have become to my surroundings. And if I visit someone else's home, I will immediately notice if I feel comfortable or not and know why I feel the way I do in their homes.


Here is a list of feng shui tasks you can do that take only ten minutes or so that will really help the energy in your home be refreshed. Doing one item each day, you will see not only immediate changes, you will feel refreshed yourself. As you tackle any of these tasks, wash your hands before and after, as you go about actually doing them, do say to yourself, 'Self, I am removing any unwanted negative Qi and am replacing it with good healthy Qi to bring my home and my family wonderful energy'. It really works!


  1. Open up your windows, and allow fresh air to come through your entire home.
  2. Go around to all your plants, spritz them with water, snip off any dead leaves and water them.
  3. Remove any clutter on the desk and table tops. If you have a lot of surfaces cluttered, choose one table, and tackle your way through it.
  4. Go through your chest of drawers, and remove ten items that you no longer could use or wear, say like old underwear, missing socks - throw them out!
  5. Go through your bathroom, grab all those half empty products, combine the shampoos if you can so you can use them on your dog, for example. Toss out unused lotions and potions what if you haven't used in 6 months - out they go!
  6. Clean out your refrigerator of any bad food, including your freezer. Food gone bad, is one of the worst things to have going on in your kitchen in creating stagnating Qi which actually blocks growth Qi.
  7. Go to your bookcase, pick ten books that you no longer need and have those books make themselves get to the library for donation.
  8. Clean out your car of its junk.
  9. Find one box that you haven't even touched since you moved into your place, go through it, toss and donate anything that has got to go. Then find a place for any of the remaining items from the box that you will actually use.
  10. Clean and organize your home office desk surface. This will not only make things easier for you to work, but you will help attract good working opportunities and wealth with a clean organized working surface.
  11. Clean your mirrors in your home.
  12. Completely dust one room in your house.
  13. Change any light bulbs that need changing.
  14. Pick up any dirty laundry sitting on the floors on any bedroom or in any room. Dirty laundry hanging around on the floors and sitting on chairs in the bedroom also brings in stagnating Qi - yick.
  15. Throw out any dried flower arrangement - yes dried flowers bring in killing Qi - one of the worst kinds. Blocks growth. I know Aunt Martha made it for you, but it's really not doing you any good.

As you go about doing these easy tasks, not only are you allowing good energy to enter your home, you really will feel and see the need to do more. And that's the point. You should look forward to getting things organized around your home. You will look forward to going to your desk and working, and coming home to a more beautiful home.


I am really quite amazed, that even after I started this Feng Shui thing over three years ago, I have since moved to a better and nicer place that I can truly call home that encourages my growth in all areas in my life. I have many more good and true friends in my life, my career has grown and I am much happier for it, including having a great love of and in my life that had been missing for many years. I know it has so much to do with following Feng Shui, that it is almost ridiculous not to share what I have learned.


So get to it, got ten minutes? Then get Feng Shui'd! You will love what it does to you, your family and for your home and office!


Leah Quinn, a multi-media artist and writer whose work specializes on food, health, feng shui, and self-improvement. http://leahquinn.com


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Leah_Quinn